Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Eggs On Rice Recipe

I wanted to share with you one of my favorite breakfasts to make whenever I have leftover rice after making bento. It's a spin on traditional Japanese egg on rice in bonito broth and it's a good balance of complex carbs, protein and a little bit of veggies.

I like this recipe because it doesn't require much additional effort on top of making bento. I start it after all of the bento food is cooked and the stove is still hot, and the breakfast cooks while I am arranging the food in the bento box. If I time it right, everything is ready at the same time and BF and I can enjoy a hot breakfast together with the lunches already packed.

Recipe: Eggs on Rice

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups hot cooked rice
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 eggs
green onions, salt and pepper for garnish

Notes about ingredients: Vegetable broths vary quite a bit across different brands with some light and airy and others dense and tomato-ey. As well, some are much saltier than others. I tried numerous brands while putting this recipe together and my favorite is Knorr Simply Vegetable Broth. Any other broth would work, putting a different spin on the recipe, but for a light dish, vegetable broth or dashi is quite nice.

Experiment with different greens! I made this one with green onion because that was what I had on hand but parsley leaves work well and pea sprouts are particularily nice because of their soft crunch.


Directions:

Bring a water to a gentle boil in a deep frying pan (enough water to cover the eggs, about 2"). At the same time, put the broth in a small pot and simmer.

When the water in the frying pan is boiling, carefully slide in the eggs, one at a time. The easiest way to do this is to first crack the egg in a small bowl and section off a part of the water in the pan with a large spoon so that it is not bubbling in that small area. Then you can slide the egg into the calm water and let it cook for a few seconds before removing the spoon. This keeps the boiling water from separating the egg into shreds. Alternately, you could use an egg poacher.

Allow eggs to cook for about 3 minutes or until they reach desired doneness. While eggs are cooking, divide rice into two rice bowls. Remove cooked eggs from pan with a slotted spoon to drain the water and place one on top of the rice in each bowl. Pour half of the broth into each bowl.

Garnish with green onion. Salt and pepper to taste.


Notes about the recipe: The doneness of the eggs affect the overall texture and flavour of the dish a great deal. My favorite way to cook them is so that the whites are completely cooked and the yolks are quite runny. When I take my first bite of egg, I pierce the yolk with my spoon. It mixes with the broth and turns the broth into a delicious pale yellow eggy mixture.

BF on the other hand prefers his egg well cooked because he doesn't like the egg and broth to mix. It's very much a matter of personal taste.

As a last comment, I have to say that my biggest complaint with a traditional North American bacon/eggs/toast breakfast was that my eggs always got cold unless I ate them up right away. This dish fixes that problem because the broth keeps the egg warm throughout the duration of the meal (Plus it doesn't leave you feeling greasy and heavy afterwards).

So give this one a try some time when you have leftover rice after making bento. You can also throw in the vegetable scraps you have left over after you punch shapes out of them so that there's no waste at all!

7 comments:

My family makes a variation of this dish of yours using vermicelli noodles instead of the rice. You cook the egg to your desired doneness and instead of placing it on top of the rice, you place it under the noodles (once you've boiled some water and the noodles "cook" in the water) as a kind of surprise. It's silly but I like it. And I like my egg done the same way you do, so that the broth (in the case of my parents, usually a beef or pork broth) and egg yolk mix. We also add in random veggies, usually baby bok choy. Seeing your post makes me want a big bowl of noodles and an egg right now!

This sounds so yummy. A girl a worked with used to make me this rice porridge with sauteed veggies. I can't wait to make this. Perfect for a morning breakfast.

Hi Dom!
That sounds really yummy! It's amazing how little differences like using vermicelli and changing where the egg is can make such a bit difference. I think I will try it!

Hi Manger la Ville!
I haven't tried to make a rice porridge yet although I have some black rice that I think would work very well for that. Maybe I will try it out today!

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Try this with wite miso soup. it is delicious too :) I have this sometimes for dinner. Love rice, love miso paste.
H

Hi Heguiberto!

What a great idea! I haven't tried that before but I defintiely will now!

The picture is gorgeous! Did you use a large egg or a small bowl to get the egg to appear humongous?

I just made some variation of this dish (I used miso soup then added dry seaweed for the "greens"), and it was very good. I just wish that I hadn't overcooked my eggs (I have wee, tiny eggs right now - the chickens are only just old enough to lay). I wanted the runny yolk. Ah well, next time!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home