Monday, September 22, 2008

Apple Crisp Recipe

Hello Fall!

When I think of Fall, I start craving anything with apples. Pies, dumplings, you name it. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll make it to the Annapolis Valley some time this fall to go apple picking. Mmmm fresh apples from trees.

So I picked up a bag of McIntosh apples yesterday and decided to make an apple crisp. While I was putting it together, first I was thinking that I wanted it to have loads of apples, so I was peeling apples for what felt like forever. But then I was thinking about how much I love the crunchy topping, so I decided to make a whole lot of topping. So really I just ended up making a tonne of everything. And it was delicious!

This is a great recipe to welcome Fall. I used slow cooking whole grain oats to give it a little more crunch because they don't get as soggy as other types of oatmeal. Also, please try to use pure maple syrup if you can. I think the synthetic kind would not turn out very good.

Enjoy!
Recipe: Apple Crisp

Ingredients

  • 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cups rolled oats
  • 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup salted butter or 1 cup unsalted butter plus a pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 3 lb bag of apples, peeled cored and sliced
Note: do not slice apples too thinly or the end result will be mushy.


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Cut butter into mixture until crumbly.

Place apple slices in 9” x 13” pan. Pour maple syrup over the apples and toss to coat.

Sprinkle crumb mixture over the apple slices. Bake for 50 minutes or until the apples are tender.

4 comments:

your crisp topping recipe sounds really good.

i like extra crunch so i usually lightly smash up some almonds/walnuts in my topping too. and i usually mix syrup into the topping part but i really like the idea of mixing that with the apples.

i'm definitely going to give this a try soon!

I used to go apple picking in the Annapolis Valley when I was a kid. I miss it, it was so much fun!

PS. I looooove apple crisp. I tend not to make it though since I live alone and I'd end up eating it all. It doesn't quite travel as well as cupcakes (since plates and forks are required).

Hi Allison!
Ooh, walnuts sound yummy! Apples and walnuts are one of my favorite combinations, plus they're good for you. This was the first time I'd ever tried using maple syrup in an apple crisp and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Hi Jennifer!
I used to go when I was a kid too and I've been itching to get back there.

You could always make a mini apple crisp! The recipes scales super easy

I am very impressed by the amount of topping on the apples. Looks very rich. I tried a recipe last week and it wasn't good for us. I will prepare it tonight and I will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home